1. To locate the controversial locations/areas of the Western Ghats and identify problems in conserving the ecology of the Western Ghats.
2. To suggest means, methods and ways to strengthen the existing legal frame work and regime for protection and conservation of the biological diversity and ecological balance in the Western Ghats.
3. To suggest changes in the existing legislations by way of amendments to strengthen the legal frame work for protection and conservation of the biological diversity and ecological balance in the Western Ghats.
4. To suggest new legislations at the central or state levels or formulate a new legal framework for protection and conservation of the biological diversity and ecological balance in the Western Ghats.
5. To discuss the implications of the World Heritage site status for various sites in the Western Ghats and suggest means and measures to realize the implications of the world heritage status to the conservation value of the Western Ghats and suggest measures to attain the benefits of the World Heritage status for the conservation of Western Ghats.
6. To examine and discuss the Gadgil Committee report, its follow up, objections of the State Governments and constitution of the Kasturirangan Committee to review Gadgil report and suggest future courses of action , measures and means for conservation of Western Ghats. (For the Gadgil Committee report see; For the minutes of the final meeting of the Gadgil Committee see ).
7. To examine the importance of the conservation of the ecology of Western Ghats to planet earth, world environment, Global climate and international community.
A. The papers that will be presented at the Conference on the above issues from an international perspective — with recommendations, suggestions, proposals, etc. — and reflecting superb quality would be published. Declaration of the Conference will also be published.
B. For effective and fruitful discussion, formulations and conclusions, the participation is limited to 80, which may, however, be slightly relaxed at the discretion of the Organizing Committee, depending on given circumstances. The success of the conference will be the quality of discussion, resolutions and proposals. Oral presentation could be accompanied by power point presentation to give more clarity, brevity and conciseness. The papers and materials presented and the discussions, suggestions, proposals, formulations, conclusions etc at the conference shall become the property of the organizers who will have copyright over the same.
C. The entire proceedings of the Conference will be documented and the selected papers will be published. The conclusions and recommendations approved at the Conference and the Declaration of the Conference will be published and submitted to the Government and relevant enforcement agencies and authorities for state action and guidance. The conference will also decide on the theme for the next conference