Dr. Bedi took his B.A. and M.A. from the Punjab University and LLM and LLD from the Catholic University of Brussels and Doctorandus from the University of Amsterdam. His areas of specialization and interest include Public International Law, International Human Rights Law and Humanitarian Law, International Environmental Law and Global Governance. In his 45 years of legal, academic and diplomatic experience he has altogether worked in
1. The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (2-8-2010 to 3-10-2012).
2. Guru Nanak Dev University (1-1-2012 to 1-8-2010).
3. The International Court of Justice (1985-2009).
4. The Embassy of Japan in The Hague (1975-1985)
5. Indian Embassy in The Hague (1974-1975).
6. Indian Navy (1966-1973) .
7. Besides Dr Bedi has since long been a Visiting Professor of International Law at numerous universities and other high institutions.
He has several publications to his credit including his two books
1. The Development of Human Rights Law by the Judges of the International Court of Justice (Oxford 2007)
2. The role and record of India and Indian judges at the International Court of Justice 1946-2011(Patiala 2012).
Besides being a member of numerous learning societies, he had been appointed by the Vice-Chancellor of the Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala, India, as a member of (i) General Council; (ii) Executive Council (iii) the Academic Council; and (iv) Internal Quality Assurance Cell of theRajiv Gandhi National University of Law and was holding these positions at the time of his demise.
At the time of his untimely demise he was supervising 6 PhD research scholars
Dr. Shiv Bedi’s untimely demise on 3-10-2012 in the midst of his active role in the organization of the 1st conference was a rude shock and earth shattering news for the organizing committee and all those who loved him. Dr. Shiv Bedi was a great human being with a warm and pure heart and an academic scholar who was sincere at heart and full of compassion for others and was willing to go an extra mile to help his fellow beings.
We will always remember you, Dr Shiv for all the great and good things you have done for us, the conference and for the Kerala Law Academy. As mark of our respect to your memory we have introduced two awards for the best research papers presented at the conference; one for a student and another for a research scholar. We express our love and respect for you Dr Shiv.